Connect with us

Sports

La Liga: Atletico Madrid secure 2-2 draw with Villarreal despite red card

Published

on

Atletico Madrid fought back to secure a 2-2 draw against Villarreal in La Liga on Sunday despite playing with 10 men after defender Robin Le Normand was sent off.

Marc Pubill gave Atletico the lead in the 59th minute before Villarreal turned the game around through penalties converted by Gerard Moreno and Georges Mikautadze.

However, Giuliano Simeone scored late to rescue a point for Diego Simeone’s side.

Atletico manager Diego Simeone introduced Julian Alvarez as a second-half substitute, but the forward was met with boos from sections of the home crowd.

The forward walked down the tunnel at the end by himself while his team-mates were thanking the fans after securing their draw.

“I think that we all have to be united, Julian is with us in the team, while he’s here we will support him,” Atletico goalkeeper Jan Oblak told DAZN.

“It’s not a comfortable situation for anyone, I hope it’s resolved and we’re all happy at the end of the season.”

Simeone began with Alvarez on the bench, and fans jeered as his name was read aloud by the stadium announcer at the Metropolitano stadium, after his attempt to leave the club this summer amid interest from Barcelona and Real Madrid.

Villarreal had the better opportunities in the first half, with Pubill blocking Mikautadze’s shot well from close range.

The Georgian forward played in Ayoze Perez brilliantly before the break but Oblak thwarted the Spaniard.

Atletico took the lead just before the hour mark when Spain defender Pubill scored from long range, curling powerfully into the top corner.

Atletico’s lead did not last long, with Moreno levelling from the penalty spot after Morten Hjulmand clumsily felled Tajon Buchanan.

Simeone sent on Alvarez for his first appearance of the season, with Atletico fans showing their anger at the Argentina international.

With 12 minutes remaining, Villarreal took the lead with another penalty, after Mikautadze had been shoved over by Le Normand, who was sent off following a VAR review of the incident.

Mikautadze took the spot kick himself and calmly slotted home.

However, Baena, who won the World Cup with Spain, played in Simeone’s son Giuliano to finish with five minutes remaining.

Oblak saved well from Buchanan as Inigo Perez’s Yellow Submarine, who pipped Atletico to third place last season, came close to claiming the three points.

“I’ll remember a lot of good things the team did, the team reacted well with a player less and wanted to win the game with 10 men,” the Atletico coach told DAZN

Follow Very Nigerian WhatsApp Channel
For Verified Breaking News, Exclusive Reports, Trending Stories, And Real-time Updates.
CLICk HERE TO JOIN!
WhatsApp

Pearl Essien is a digital content creator and a graduate of the prestigious University of Calabar. With over four years of experience in writing, she specializes in crafting engaging stories that inform and inspire readers. Outside of her work, Pearl enjoys storytelling, reading, and playing table tennis, bringing the same curiosity and passion to her hobbies as she does to her writing.

Advertisement Follow Us on Google Discover
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics2 days ago

Updated: Tinubu Chairman, Yari Campaign DG as APC unveils 108-Man 2027 Presidential Campaign Council (Full List)

Metro2 days ago

Just-In: Pandemonium as early morning fire ravages Spar Shopping Mall in Calabar (Photos)

News15 hours ago

Atiku, Obi reject single-candidate push as opposition coalition talks intensify

Metro2 days ago

Gunmen storm Mosques, kidnap worshippers after Friday prayers in Niger

Politics15 hours ago

Over 500 Islamic Scholars pass vote of confidence in Tinubu ahead of 2027

Politics1 day ago

2027 Election is battle between Nigerians, Oppressors — Kwankwaso

Sports1 day ago

Newly promoted Hull City beat Manchester United 2–0 in Premier League opener

News1 day ago

Don’t use ‘danger to lives’ to shield Tinubu records – Atiku tells FBI to release Tinubu alleged drug trafficking records

Opinion2 days ago

Why Atiku’s subsidy gambit rattles Tinubu: by Farooq A. Kperogi

World1 day ago

US court cancels Trump visa ban on Nigeria, 74 other countries (Full List)

Entertainment4 hours ago

BREAKING: Veteran Nollywood Actor Taiwo Hassan ‘Ogogo’ dies after cancer battle

News13 hours ago

Anambra govt linked to fresh fake agency scandal: SSG says State was deceived

News1 day ago

‘I don’t want to lose FCT, Rivers’ – Wike opens up on why he won’t serve on Tinubu’s campaign council

News1 day ago

Military airstrikes eliminate scores of Boko Haram, ISWAP fighters in Borno

Sports2 days ago

Lionel Messi fined by MLS over Quinn Sullivan neck slap incident