Connect with us

Politics

‘2027 presidential bid will be my last’ – Atiku

Published

on

The presidential candidate of the African Democratic Congress (ADC), Atiku Abubakar, has said the 2027 presidential election will be his final attempt to become Nigeria’s president, regardless of the outcome.

Atiku stated this during a Hausa-language interview on Wednesday while responding to a question on whether he would contest again if he lost the 2027 election.

The former vice president said he would not seek the presidency again after the 2027 election.

“No, I have said it before, right from this election, I will not contest again,” the former Vice President said.

The former vice-president, who has contested the presidency several times, also called on Nigerians with Permanent Voter Cards to participate actively in the 2027 election.

He urged voters to not only cast their ballots but also remain at their polling units to monitor the counting and ensure their votes are properly recorded.

“First of all, I appeal to those who have voter cards, for their own sake, their families, and their future, to go out and vote. That is the solution to the problems they are facing.

“After going out to vote, they should also stay, escort, and ensure that those votes are counted,” he said.

Atiku also dismissed concerns about his ability to govern Nigeria on health grounds, saying he remained fit to lead the country.

“No doctor has declared that I am unfit in terms of health. I know my body, I know I am healthy, and I do not have a single defect,” he said.

The ADC candidate also promised to restore the petrol subsidy if elected president in 2027.

Atiku questioned how the savings from the removal of the subsidy had been used, arguing that the funds were supposed to help address poverty and improve access to education.

“I did not oppose the removal of the oil subsidy, but where is the money? Where did it go? It was intended to reduce poverty and help children attend school. Where is the money now? It seems they are just stealing it,” Atiku said in Hausa.

“If elected, I will bring back the oil subsidy, and whoever stole the money must refund it.”

He said the removal of the subsidy could have produced positive results if the money saved had been channelled into security, education and other areas of national development.

“The government successfully removed the subsidy, but we do not know where the money went. If they had used the money for development, to solve security problems, for education, and to create opportunities for the youth, it would be different. If elected, I can remove the subsidy and use the money to do all these properly.”

Follow Very Nigerian WhatsApp Channel
For Verified Breaking News, Exclusive Reports, Trending Stories, And Real-time Updates.
CLICk HERE TO JOIN!
WhatsApp

Pearl Essien is a digital content creator and a graduate of the prestigious University of Calabar. With over four years of experience in writing, she specializes in crafting engaging stories that inform and inspire readers. Outside of her work, Pearl enjoys storytelling, reading, and playing table tennis, bringing the same curiosity and passion to her hobbies as she does to her writing.

Advertisement Follow Us on Google Discover
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *