Connect with us

News

Retired military personnel suspend protest after Defence Minister’s intervention

Published

on

Retired military personnel have suspended their planned protest after the Minister of Defence, Gen. Christopher Musa (retd.), assured them that the Federal Government would address their concerns over pension adjustments and other welfare issues.

The decision was reached after representatives of the ex-servicemen met with officials of the Ministry of Defence at Ship House in Abuja on Wednesday.

One of the protest leaders, Col. Innocent Azubike (retd.), said the government had acknowledged the concerns raised by the retirees as legitimate and had begun taking steps to resolve them.

The retired personnel had planned to protest over issues surrounding pension adjustments and other welfare-related demands.

“Authorities have accepted our cause was genuine and promised and initiated action also to compute our consequential allowance and include it in the fund requirement for implementation of the new outcome.

“That was mission achieved as far as we are concerned. And part of what really made them react was that the media was publicising it. They felt it was becoming a scandal and quickly solved the problem.

“At this moment, for me, I will be getting back to my station. All our people have dispersed,” Azubike said.

The Minister of Defence, who was represented at the meeting by the Permanent Secretary, Richard Pheelangwah, assured the veterans that the government was committed to addressing their welfare, remuneration and pension concerns.

In a statement by the ministry’s spokesman, Henshaw Ogubike, Musa said issues relating to wage and pension adjustments were receiving urgent attention, with relevant military, pension and financial authorities being engaged to find a sustainable solution.

He said, “Concerns relating to wage and pension adjustments are receiving urgent attention, with relevant military, pension and financial authorities being engaged to achieve a fair, sustainable and implementable resolution that ensures veterans are not unfairly disadvantaged.”

The minister also appealed to the protesters to remain calm and embrace dialogue, stressing that any adjustment to veterans’ entitlements must be properly computed, adequately funded and implemented in line with existing approvals and regulations.

“Any adjustment to veterans’ entitlements must be properly computed, adequately funded and implemented in accordance with extant approvals, regulations and due process,” he said.

Musa further assured the veterans that the ministry would continue to engage their representatives and provide updates as progress was made on their demands.

The protest had earlier been disrupted by a heavy deployment of soldiers and policemen around the Ministry of Defence.

Our correspondent, who arrived at the ministry at about 8 am, observed personnel of the Nigeria Police Force, Nigerian Army, Nigeria Immigration Service and Vehicle Inspection Officers deployed around the venue.

Armed soldiers were also seen moving around the venue as security operatives took strategic positions along roads leading to the ministry.

The correspondent counted two armoured personnel carriers and more than 15 vehicles belonging to the police, Army, Immigration Service and VIO stationed at both ends of the roads around the protest venue.

The retired military personnel had attempted to converge at the ministry to protest what they described as the failure of the authorities to implement consequential pension adjustments arising from salary increases approved for serving military personnel.

The development reportedly resulted in a confrontation between some serving soldiers and the retired personnel as security operatives moved to prevent the veterans from assembling at the ministry.

The ex-servicemen are particularly demanding that pensioners benefit from consequential adjustments arising from salary increases approved for serving military personnel.

Azubike had earlier said the retirees were not opposed to salary increases for serving personnel but wanted corresponding adjustments to their pensions.

He also raised concerns over the latest salary increase announced for military personnel in August 2026, which is expected to take effect in September, alleging that pensioners were excluded from the computation.

In the minister’s statement, he acknowledged the sacrifices made by retired military personnel, stressing that their welfare remained a priority of the Federal Government.

“Concerns relating to wage and pension adjustments are receiving urgent attention, with relevant military, pension and financial authorities being engaged to achieve a fair, sustainable and implementable resolution that ensures veterans are not unfairly disadvantaged,” the statement read.

Musa assured the veterans that the Ministry of Defence would continue to engage their representatives and provide updates as progress was made on their demands.

He reiterated the government’s appreciation of the patriotism and sacrifices of military veterans, saying their service to the country must be recognised through sustained attention to their welfare and legitimate entitlements.

Follow Very Nigerian WhatsApp Channel
For Verified Breaking News, Exclusive Reports, Trending Stories, And Real-time Updates.
CLICk HERE TO JOIN!
WhatsApp

Pearl Essien is a digital content creator and a graduate of the prestigious University of Calabar. With over four years of experience in writing, she specializes in crafting engaging stories that inform and inspire readers. Outside of her work, Pearl enjoys storytelling, reading, and playing table tennis, bringing the same curiosity and passion to her hobbies as she does to her writing.

Advertisement Follow Us on Google Discover
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Jobs / Vacancies1 day ago

Canada invites 1,000 skilled workers to apply for permanent residence

News20 hours ago

BREAKING: “Davido was the target” – Police give details on Gov Adeleke convoy attack in Osogbo

Jobs / Vacancies1 day ago

Enugu Air announces recruitment for 7 positions (How to Apply)

News2 days ago

Tinubu seeks 10-Day delay as Trump-appointed prosecutor moves to release drug investigation files

National News23 hours ago

BREAKING: Tinubu appoints Abel Enitan as new Head of Civil Service of the Federation

News2 days ago

Osun Poll: Akpabio, Dangote called me to take down my posts — Davido

National News1 day ago

N15.8tn Fuel Subsidy Savings: Tinubu govt explains how the money was spent

Politics2 days ago

2027: Tinubu, Atiku, Obi, others sign Peace Accord ahead of elections

National News2 days ago

Tinubu meets Akpabio, Doguwa, Oyetola behind closed doors at Aso Rock

News1 day ago

Lagos declares Thursday public holiday for 2026 Ìṣẹ̀ṣe day celebration

National News1 day ago

Tinubu to speak at UNGA September 23 as possible Trump meeting looms

News23 hours ago

JUST IN: Panic in Osogbo as hoodlums open fire on Adeleke’s convoy

Politics1 day ago

How I rejected Tinubu as running mate over Muslim-Muslim ticket – Atiku

Special Features7 hours ago

From BNSc Nursing to BSc in Accounting , Masters, PGDE; See list of available programmes, requirements and how to apply for ABU Zaria DLC admission

Entertainment1 day ago

‘We dated same woman’ – Blaqbonez breaks silence on feud with Odumodublvck