Connect with us

World

Prince Harry, Meghan set to return to UK after six years in US

Published

on

Prince Harry and his wife, Meghan Markle, are reportedly preparing to move back to the United Kingdom within weeks, six years after stepping away from their roles as working members of the royal family.

According to British media reports, the couple plans to leave the United States before the end of August and settle in a private residence outside London.

Very Nigerian reported that the move would see Harry, the younger son of King Charles III, and Meghan return to the UK without resuming their former roles as working royals.

Reports from several British media outlets, including the BBC, also said the couple’s two children, Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet, have been enrolled in a British school ahead of the new academic year, which begins in early September.

The reported move marks a significant development in the couple’s relationship with the United Kingdom since they relocated to the United States after stepping back from royal duties in 2020.

It was reported that the couple had already chosen a new house, but that it would not be one of the many royal residences.

Harry and Meghan have lived in California since stepping down as working royals in 2020, and the children had not seen their grandfather since 2022.

Harry, 41, and Meghan, 45, left Britain for North America in 2020 amid a bitter feud with his family, which worsened as Harry published his tell-all memoir “Spare”.

A no-holds-barred interview with US talk show hostess Oprah Winfrey also deepened the rift.

The Press Association said the 77-year-old Charles had been made aware on Sunday that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex planned to return to live in the UK.

The monarch “welcomes the opportunity to see more of the family in a personal capacity”, but there will be no change in their status, and the couple would still not be working royals, PA said.

Harry has said he did not feel safe bringing his family to Britain after losing a court battle over government-funded police protection.

“It’s impossible for me to take my family back to the UK safely,” he said last year after the ruling.

A Home Office spokesperson said Britain’s protective security system was “rigorous and proportionate”, adding that decisions are taken by a committee whose members include the Home Office, the Metropolitan Police and the royal household.

‘Extraordinary Development’

The stunning news comes after Harry and Meghan paid a short visit to the UK with the children in early July, during which they had a private meeting with Charles.

Harry said last year that he wanted to reconcile with his father, who was diagnosed two years ago with cancer and has been receiving treatment since. The type of cancer has never been revealed.

It was not immediately clear whether Harry’s older brother and heir to the throne, Prince William, and his wife, Catherine, had been informed of the news. The two brothers have become estranged and reportedly no longer talk.

Royal commentator Richard Fitzwilliams told GB News television that it was “an extraordinary development”.

“My first thought frankly is… they failed to make it in the US… essentially they failed to be A-listers in Hollywood.”

While the couple signed a mega deal with Netflix in 2020 reportedly worth an unconfirmed $100 million, many of their projects have struggled to win over audiences.

And the new deal signed with the US streaming giant in August 2025 was a looser arrangement, described as a “multi-year, first look deal”.

‘Untruths’

The Sun newspaper said the couple would keep their Montecito home in California, as well as a house in Portugal where they are believed to have enjoyed some vacation time this summer.

Even the run-up to Harry’s July trip was rocked by setbacks, with media outlets quoting sources close to him as saying the prince would be staying at Buckingham Palace in London — only for the palace to issue a denial.

News of the couple’s surprise return after their painful departure from Britain — dubbed Megxit by the British tabloids — also comes the day after Diana’s brother, Charles Spencer, revealed that he had written a book about his sister’s life.

Harry has long blamed the media for the death of his mother Princess Diana, who was killed in a Paris car crash in 1997 while trying to shake off the paparazzi.

“Swan Song: Diana, My Sister” will be published in Britain and other countries on September 22 and translated into 12 languages.

“With the 30th anniversary of Diana’s tragic death on the skyline, I’ve been inundated yet again with requests for interviews about my sister,” Spencer said.

“This has convinced me to write down my own thoughts and memories, once and for all,” he said, adding many opinions were “based on untruths that have become accepted over time”.

Spencer, 62, has remained close to both his nephews, and Harry and Meghan and their children reportedly visited the earl’s ancestral home at Althorp, central England, in early July where they were said to have visited Diana’s grave.

Follow Very Nigerian WhatsApp Channel
For Verified Breaking News, Exclusive Reports, Trending Stories, And Real-time Updates.
CLICk HERE TO JOIN!
WhatsApp

Pearl Essien is a digital content creator and a graduate of the prestigious University of Calabar. With over four years of experience in writing, she specializes in crafting engaging stories that inform and inspire readers. Outside of her work, Pearl enjoys storytelling, reading, and playing table tennis, bringing the same curiosity and passion to her hobbies as she does to her writing.

Advertisement Follow Us on Google Discover
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics23 minutes ago

‘2027 presidential bid will be my last’ – Atiku

News52 minutes ago

NAPTIP shuts Port Harcourt maternity over alleged baby sale, trafficking

Politics2 hours ago

‘This One Cannot Rule Nigeria’ — Donald Duke reveals how Babangida secretly warned Obasanjo against trusting Atiku

Sports2 hours ago

Messi nets first goal after father’s death as Inter Miami draw 2-2

World2 hours ago

Prince Harry, Meghan set to return to UK after six years in US

Metro3 hours ago

Hoodlums gun down 60-year-old man in Osun

News3 hours ago

Man arrested in Abuja for allegedly posing as DSS operative

Politics4 hours ago

Obasanjo couldn’t even win his own state in 1999, he has no electoral value, Arewa made him President – Atiku

Special Features4 hours ago

From BNSc Nursing to BSc in Accounting , Masters, PGDE; See list of available programmes, requirements and how to apply for ABU Zaria DLC admission

Special Features4 hours ago

Nigeria Travel Guide: Documents, Visa and Health Requirements for Foreign Visitors

Special Features5 hours ago

Travelling to Nigeria? 30 Nigerian Pidgin English phrases every visitor should know

Politics5 hours ago

2027: ‘Tinubu will be defeated before 4p.m if election is free, fair’ – Baba-Ahmed

Sports6 hours ago

Former Commonwealth Champion Leon Baptiste jailed in Morocco

Sports6 hours ago

Eddie Hearn threatens legal action against Dana White over Fury-Joshua clash

Politics6 hours ago

Kebbi Gov welcomes ADC chieftain, Bango Kabi into APC

Jobs / Vacancies23 hours ago

Canada invites 1,000 skilled workers to apply for permanent residence

News17 hours ago

BREAKING: “Davido was the target” – Police give details on Gov Adeleke convoy attack in Osogbo

Jobs / Vacancies21 hours ago

Enugu Air announces recruitment for 7 positions (How to Apply)

Politics2 days ago

Tinubu could have won Osun election ‘At All Cost’ if he wanted, there’s nothing the Gov. could have done – Wike

News2 days ago

Tinubu seeks 10-Day delay as Trump-appointed prosecutor moves to release drug investigation files

National News20 hours ago

BREAKING: Tinubu appoints Abel Enitan as new Head of Civil Service of the Federation

Politics2 days ago

Tinubu’s 2027 re-election will be easier than 2023 – Wike

National News22 hours ago

N15.8tn Fuel Subsidy Savings: Tinubu govt explains how the money was spent

Politics2 days ago

2027: Tinubu, Atiku, Obi, others sign Peace Accord ahead of elections

Business News2 days ago

Dangote refinery lands $1bn investment backing ahead of IPO

National News2 days ago

Tinubu meets Akpabio, Doguwa, Oyetola behind closed doors at Aso Rock

National News1 day ago

Tinubu to speak at UNGA September 23 as possible Trump meeting looms

Politics2 days ago

‘Fadahunsi, Wole Oke won’t return to National Assembly as long as I’m alive — Davido

News1 day ago

Lagos declares Thursday public holiday for 2026 Ìṣẹ̀ṣe day celebration

News2 days ago

Osun: Jonathan criticises Governors, political leaders’ presence in election states