Connect with us

Sports

Eddie Hearn threatens legal action against Dana White over Fury-Joshua clash

Published

on

Matchroom Boxing promoter Eddie Hearn has threatened legal action against Zuffa Boxing boss Dana White over claims surrounding the proposed Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury fight.

Hearn accused White of wrongly claiming promotional rights to the highly anticipated heavyweight bout and alleged that he was using Joshua to negotiate a venue agreement despite having no authority to do so.

The dispute is the latest development in the long-running rivalry between Hearn and White, which has intensified since White entered the boxing promotion business through Zuffa Boxing.

White’s move into boxing has included signing some fighters previously associated with Hearn, while Hearn has also expanded into mixed martial arts management, representing several prominent MMA fighters.

Speaking to About Boxing after rumours emerged of an imminent announcement for the fight to hold in November at Madison Square Garden, Hearn said White had no rights to broker such a deal.

“Actually, I should be suing Dana White, because what he’s doing is, he’s actually purporting to have the ability to stage the fight there, and he’s using my client to do a venue deal that he has no rights to,” Hearn said.

Hearn added that promotional outfit, TKO, had since approached him seeking involvement in the event, a proposal he said he was open to considering only if it clearly benefited Joshua and his fighters.

“The reality is, now, TKO are coming on, asking me if they can be involved. So Dana White’s gone from being the promoter of the event to asking if he can be involved. Why should I let you be involved in this event? Tell me how it benefits Anthony Joshua. Tell me how it benefits Matchroom. Tell me how it benefits my fighters,” Hearn said.

On the substance of the deal, Hearn confirmed both camps had signed for the fight, but said Team Fury wanted changes to the contract that Joshua’s side had already agreed.

“To be honest, all I can really tell you is we’ve signed for the fight. Obviously, they want to change the contract that we signed, which we don’t like to do. But we also understand that these guys are our partners, and it seems like everybody is adamant that the fight takes place in New York.

“Tyson Fury has agreed to do the fight in America, and we haven’t at the moment. So, we’re talking through a roadmap of what that might look like to change the deal. And if they do all the things that we’ve discussed and agreed in principle, then I think there is a very good chance that the fight will happen in America,” Hearn said.

White, however, dismissed Hearn’s claims when he addressed reporters following the latest edition of Contender Series.

“I have not. I stopped listening to Eddie Hearn about three months ago. Is there anybody more full of shit than this guy? Come on. Completely full of shit,” White said.

The exchange comes days after White, speaking following UFC 330, admitted his involvement in the deal had been limited to the television and venue arrangements, and questioned whether Joshua and Fury remained fully committed to the fight, insisting it should have happened 10 years ago.

Joshua and Fury signed contracts to face each other earlier in the year, but no date or venue has been confirmed for the fight, with Netflix, which is set to broadcast the contest, reportedly pushing for the bout to be staged in New York on November 20, according to The Mirror, while Joshua and Hearn continue to push for the fight to be held in the United Kingdom.

Follow Very Nigerian WhatsApp Channel
For Verified Breaking News, Exclusive Reports, Trending Stories, And Real-time Updates.
CLICk HERE TO JOIN!
WhatsApp

Pearl Essien is a digital content creator and a graduate of the prestigious University of Calabar. With over four years of experience in writing, she specializes in crafting engaging stories that inform and inspire readers. Outside of her work, Pearl enjoys storytelling, reading, and playing table tennis, bringing the same curiosity and passion to her hobbies as she does to her writing.

Advertisement Follow Us on Google Discover
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Jobs / Vacancies24 hours ago

Canada invites 1,000 skilled workers to apply for permanent residence

News18 hours ago

BREAKING: “Davido was the target” – Police give details on Gov Adeleke convoy attack in Osogbo

Jobs / Vacancies22 hours ago

Enugu Air announces recruitment for 7 positions (How to Apply)

News2 days ago

Tinubu seeks 10-Day delay as Trump-appointed prosecutor moves to release drug investigation files

National News21 hours ago

BREAKING: Tinubu appoints Abel Enitan as new Head of Civil Service of the Federation

National News23 hours ago

N15.8tn Fuel Subsidy Savings: Tinubu govt explains how the money was spent

Politics2 days ago

2027: Tinubu, Atiku, Obi, others sign Peace Accord ahead of elections

National News2 days ago

Tinubu meets Akpabio, Doguwa, Oyetola behind closed doors at Aso Rock

National News1 day ago

Tinubu to speak at UNGA September 23 as possible Trump meeting looms

News1 day ago

Lagos declares Thursday public holiday for 2026 Ìṣẹ̀ṣe day celebration

News2 days ago

Osun: Jonathan criticises Governors, political leaders’ presence in election states

News2 days ago

Osun Poll: Akpabio, Dangote called me to take down my posts — Davido

Politics1 day ago

How I rejected Tinubu as running mate over Muslim-Muslim ticket – Atiku

Entertainment23 hours ago

‘We dated same woman’ – Blaqbonez breaks silence on feud with Odumodublvck

Special Features5 hours ago

From BNSc Nursing to BSc in Accounting , Masters, PGDE; See list of available programmes, requirements and how to apply for ABU Zaria DLC admission