News
2027: Dino Melaye drags Tinubu to Court for appointing NRS Chairman as campaign fund raiser
Former Kogi West Senator Dino Melaye has announced plans to institute legal action against President Bola Ahmed Tinubu over the appointment of the Executive Chairman of the Nigeria Revenue Service (NRS), Dr Zacch Adedeji, as Deputy Director of Fundraising for the President’s 2027 campaign.
Melaye questioned the propriety of the appointment, arguing that Adedeji, as the head of a government agency responsible for revenue collection, should not simultaneously occupy a senior position in a partisan campaign structure.
The former lawmaker made his position known in a video shared on his Facebook page while reacting to the All Progressives Congress (APC) Presidential Campaign Council unveiled on Saturday.
According to Melaye, the inclusion of the NRS chairman in the campaign’s fundraising structure raises questions about potential conflict of interest and compliance with public service regulations.
“The most disturbing part of the list released by the APC is seeing the chairman of the Nigerian Revenue Service, the body that collects our revenue, serving as Director in charge of fundraising for Tinubu’s presidential campaign.
“Is there no conflict in this? As a lawyer, by the grace of God, on Monday, I’m heading to court. We have to test that. If that is not a conflict of interest, then I don’t know what would be,” Melaye said.
He argued that Adedeji’s alleged involvement went beyond expressing political support for a candidate, since he had reportedly been assigned a leadership role within the campaign organisation.
“That a civil servant, a man who earns a salary and is supposed to adhere to public service rules, is not just supporting a presidential candidate but serving as Deputy Director in charge of fundraising,” he added.
The controversy followed the release of the APC Presidential Campaign Council for the 2027 election.
Former Zamfara State Governor, Senator Abdulaziz Yari, was named Director-General, while Imo State Governor, Hope Uzodimma, was appointed Secretary.
APC National Secretary, Senator Ajibola Bashiru, and Hadiza Bala-Usman were named Deputy Secretary and Assistant Secretary respectively.
ADC also attacks campaign council
The campaign council has also attracted criticism from the opposition African Democratic Congress (ADC).
The party, through its National Publicity Secretary, Bolaji Abdullahi, accused the Tinubu administration of providing what it described as political rehabilitation for individuals facing unresolved corruption allegations.
The ADC specifically questioned the inclusion of former Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Betta Edu, and former Chairman of the Nigeria Social Insurance Trust Fund, Ngozi Olejeme.
The party demanded clarification on the status of previous investigations and cases involving the two former officials if they had been cleared.
“If they have been cleared, the government should show how and when and by whom they were cleared,” Abdullahi said.
The ADC further alleged that some financial crime investigations under the Tinubu administration had gradually disappeared from public attention before individuals involved later returned to political prominence.
“Under this government, corruption allegations increasingly appear to have an expiry date. Once a person becomes politically useful enough, yesterday’s questions apparently no longer require today’s answers,” the party said.
The opposition party maintained that the 2027 presidential election would serve as a referendum on Tinubu’s performance since assuming office, arguing that campaign mobilisation would not erase the economic difficulties facing Nigerians.
Melaye’s proposed legal action could therefore add another layer to the growing controversy surrounding the composition and membership of the APC’s 2027 campaign council.

Follow Us on Google Discover