Connect with us

Metro

Gunmen storm Mosques, kidnap worshippers after Friday prayers in Niger

Published

on

Gunmen have reportedly attacked several communities in Borgu Local Government Area of Niger State, abducting an unspecified number of worshippers shortly after Friday prayers.

The affected communities include Dekara, Gidan Zana, Sabon Gida and Masaka.

Residents told the BBC that the attacks occurred shortly after the worshippers concluded their Friday prayers.

The federal lawmaker representing the area, Hon. Jafar Muhammad Shetiman Borgu, confirmed the incident, saying the exact number of people abducted was yet to be established.

Shetiman Borgu disclosed that security agencies were aware of the attacks and efforts were ongoing to determine the number of victims and the circumstances surrounding the abductions.

He said several worshippers were attacked with machetes, while some managed to escape with injuries.

“Some people managed to escape, while others sustained machete wounds,” he was quoted as saying.

According to him, the attackers entered Dekara after Friday prayers, surrounded a mosque and took worshippers into the forest.

He added that the gunmen subsequently moved into neighbouring communities, where they abducted more people after Friday prayers.

The lawmaker said youths and heads of households were among those taken away.

The latest attacks have heightened concerns over the security situation in Borgu, which borders Kebbi and Kwara states as well as the Republic of Benin.

Shetiman Borgu said forests in the area had become hideouts for suspected members of the Lakurawa and Mamudawa groups.

He disclosed that there had reportedly been a disagreement between the two groups following the attacks on worshippers on Friday.

According to him, some members of the groups were said to have opposed the invasion of mosques and abduction of worshippers, leading to clashes between the factions.

He said authorities suspected that the abductors might have targeted youths for recruitment, although it remained unclear whether the attackers were members of Lakurawa or Mamudawa.

In recent months, reports have emerged of suspected Lakurawa fighters operating in parts of Niger State, where they allegedly gathered residents for preaching and warned them against activities they considered contrary to their interpretation of Islamic teachings.

The group has reportedly preached against stealing, alcohol consumption and adultery, while calling on residents to observe Sharia principles.

Despite assurances by security agencies that efforts are ongoing to combat armed groups in Niger State, the latest attacks have further underscored the security challenges confronting communities in the state.

Last week, more than 20 people were reportedly killed in parts of Borgu Local Government Area.

Borgu was also the scene of a major abduction in November 2025, when gunmen reportedly abducted more than 200 pupils in Papiri. The children were later released after spending about a month in captivity.

Follow Very Nigerian WhatsApp Channel
For Verified Breaking News, Exclusive Reports, Trending Stories, And Real-time Updates.
CLICk HERE TO JOIN!
WhatsApp

Pearl Essien is a digital content creator and a graduate of the prestigious University of Calabar. With over four years of experience in writing, she specializes in crafting engaging stories that inform and inspire readers. Outside of her work, Pearl enjoys storytelling, reading, and playing table tennis, bringing the same curiosity and passion to her hobbies as she does to her writing.

Advertisement Follow Us on Google Discover
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News1 day ago

‘Disclosing his records could endanger lives’ – FBI begs US court to keep parts of Tinubu records secret

National News1 day ago

BREAKING: FG declares Tuesday public holiday for Eid ul Mawlid

News1 day ago

BREAKING: PFIPC: ICPC exposes another ‘fake’ agency inside SGF office

Politics10 hours ago

Updated: Tinubu Chairman, Yari Campaign DG as APC unveils 108-Man 2027 Presidential Campaign Council (Full List)

Metro10 hours ago

Just-In: Pandemonium as early morning fire ravages Spar Shopping Mall in Calabar (Photos)

Politics2 days ago

2027: ‘Step aside, back Obi’ — NDC chieftain tells Atiku

Politics2 days ago

Kwankwaso submits NDC candidates for 2027 elections across 19 Northern states, FCT

Entertainment1 day ago

For insulting Gov Okpebholo, his children, you have been banned from Edo, boys will use slap to remove your teeth if you come – Gov aide dares Davido

National News21 hours ago

US Court grants FBI permission to submit Tinubu-linked records for private review

Politics1 day ago

Peter Obi declares 2027 Presidential Campaign open, says ‘Nigeria Must Work’

News23 hours ago

Fake Agency Scandal: Tinubu orders arrest, suspends three permanent secretaries

Politics2 days ago

2027: ‘We’ll retaliate, won’t allow anyone to ridicule Tinubu’ — Jibrin warns NDC

News2 days ago

‘Nigeria would have been overrun by terrorists if not for Tinubu’, says Bwala

News1 day ago

2027: ‘Tinubu may move Nigeria’s capital to Lagos if re-elected’ – Primate Ayodele

News2 days ago

Ondo: Aiyedatiwa approves appointment of Commissioner, 3 advisers, 1,000 aides