News
JUST IN: Military retirees protest at Defence ministry over pension delay
A protest broke out at the Ministry of Defence in Abuja on Wednesday as military retirees demanded the implementation of consequential adjustments to their pensions.
The ex-servicemen gathered at the ministry to press for the payment of the pension adjustments, but armed soldiers reportedly blocked them from accessing the premises.
Speaking during the protest, one of the retirees said President Bola Tinubu had approved a salary increase for military and paramilitary personnel in November 2025.
He, however, said the corresponding adjustment to the pensions of retired personnel had yet to be implemented, despite the approval.
The retirees called on the Federal Government to address the issue and ensure that the approved pension adjustments are implemented without further delay.
“Since November last year, the President approved a salary increase for the military and paramilitary personnel, and it has been in the news everywhere.
“The military high command has continued to thank the President at every given opportunity, but this is August 2026 and they are yet to implement it.
“It’s as if it is a scam. This is Nigeria. We served for 35 years. The system is wrong,” he said.

Follow Us on Google Discover