News
EFCC lifts freeze on Osun govt accounts
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has lifted the restriction placed on the bank accounts of the Osun State Government.
The accounts were frozen ahead of the August 15, 2026 governorship election in the state.
According to Premium Times, the development was confirmed by the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Temitope Ajayi.
Ajayi also said an aide to Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, confirmed that the restriction on the state government’s accounts had been removed.
The development comes after the conclusion of the governorship election, which saw Adeleke emerge victorious.
“The restriction has been lifted. EFCC cannot ignore the presidential order. I can confirm to you that it was done immediately. If it was not lifted, the Osun State Government would have made it a campaign issue.
“The fact that they are not talking about it shows it has been done. The accounts are now functional. That was why Mr Governor directed the Attorney-General to withdraw the suit against EFCC,” Ajayi said.
Recall that the anti-graft agency, on August 5, 2026, froze the Osun State Government accounts domiciled with First Bank, just 10 days before the state’s governorship election.
The development drew outrage from Nigerians, with some describing the move as oppressive because the state governor is not a member of the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC.
However, president Bola Tinubu, the following day, ordered the EFCC to immediately vacate the court order that froze the Osun State government account.

Follow Us on Google Discover